Tuesday, December 29, 2009

fraud meeting

a couple of weeks ago, we had an anti-fraud meeting. bad enough that it was a meeting, but it was a conference called meeting! one where a whole bunch of different offices were listening to these men speak, and we had to just sit there and listen. i mean, there was a powerpoint-like presentation, but it was dark and i was so tempted to bring my knitting... but maybe that's unprofessional and distracting to the people who can actually see me.

as usual, i took notes. i realize this about myself: i have to be contantly doing something with my hands. i can't just sit. i'm usually typing, writing, or knitting. if i'm not doing something productive like that, i'm picking at my nails. i've tried to break this bad habit by painting my nails and always having knitting or a pen with me... i think it's working. but i digress.

notes from the fruad meeting:
  • at least 3 people seemed to be nodding off, and that's just what i could see from where i was sitting.  (it was dark and boring. i don't blame them.)
  • interesting word choices:
    • stringently
    • verbage
    • golden nuggets
    • counterparts (as in, "my counterparts")
    • smoking gun
    • remuneration
  • frequently used words:
    • subsequently - 5 times
    • interestingly - 7 times
  • interesting quotes:
    • "if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, then it probably is a duck."
    • "we're not talking about jail here folks. we're talking about actual prison time."
after about an hour, we were kicked out because i got a little antsy and started bouncing in my seat. the second part of the presentation didn't apply to my department at all, and i had had two cups of coffee that morning... a higher-up in the Company said to my manager and i, "you guys can go. this doesn't really appy to you." then she looked at me bouncing in my chair and said in a very annoyed voice, "stop that!" hehehehe. put a smile on my face for the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment