Tuesday, September 7, 2010

a long day and wanderlust

so today i'm scheduled to work 10:30-7 instead of my usual 8-4:30 to cover for our trusty late-shift supervisor, who is out today. my morning was pretty hectic; i let myself sleep in a little as an indulgence (last night was a relatively late one), and i got myself out the door about 10 minutes later than i wanted. but it's all good: i got to work at exactly 8:00. my manager came to the front door to let me in, and he greeted me with "What are you doing here?" which was not nearly as pleasant as the "Good morning!" i had just given him. and then i realized i was 2 1/2 hours early!! oh well, i'll be working 8-7 today, but i'm taking an hour lunch now and a half-hour dinner break later in the afternoon. now that's what i call balance. ugh.
in other news, it's that time again. i'm wanderlusty, grasping for anything that might add spice to my otherwise stable (aka BORING) routine of a life. i've been living in the same apartment for 2 years now; i've had the same job for coming on 2 years; and i think the most interesting new thing in my life is my parents' new dog, chap (so named for charlie chaplin, who also never speaks) -- but even that newness is wearing off (it's been 2 months since they got him). i'm so ready for december, when thane graduates and we start doing something else.

you can visually see when i need variety because i change the layout of this blog. (btw, what do you think?)

yesterday was a minor holiday, so of course my husband had classes. i absolutely love martin luther king jr. day, labor day and columbus day because i get off and he doesn't. so i get to be a student for those days. i'm not even joking that yesterday was the most fun i'd had since thane's birthday party. i got to learn about early irish society, the military strategy of joshua's conquest of the Promised Land (paradoxical-sounding, i know), and i got a lot of reading time. it was wonderful, and i would love to go to school again. but, you know, the grass is always greener and all that.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Abby,
    Do you ever come to the Reading/Pottstown area to visit friends and family? I miss you.
    Love,
    -Rachel Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love school too. I also like the new design. And I hear you're doing really well at your job, so congrats for that! Your comments/posts are often rather humorous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @theracheldiane yes, we do visit that area! we were just there this past weekend, but we probably won't be able to afford any more visits for at least 3 weeks... :( i'll let you know. :)

    @v02468 thanks!! =D pretty much, i realize that most people take life too seriously (myself included) and we all just need to laugh a little more.

    ReplyDelete